Friday, December 7, 2007

The Marines have Landed

One of my favorite TV shows growing up was "The A Team", starring Mr. T and George Peppard. Peppard's character, Col. Hannibal, would always declare "I love it when a plan comes together" after a successful mission.

Although I recognize there is a tremendous amount of work to complete for the Tri for Our Veterans race, a lot of progress has been made in the past few days. My good friend, Chuck Brodsky, started The Nation's Triathlon in DC and continues to be a great mentor to me as I organize this race. (As a first time Race Director, I would be lost without his guidance). Chuck connected me with Team Semper Fi, which is one of the many initiatives of The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund-- yes, the same organization that will share in the proceeds from the triathlon. Team Semper Fi provides coaching, specialized sporting equipment, entry fees, and travel expenses for wounded team members/veterans. I spoke to the coach and sponsor of Team Semper Fi, explained the Tri for Our Veterans concept, and invited him to join the race. He accepted! Team Semper Fi will be sending about 12 athletes to compete.

Additionally, we received official recognition as an event associated with The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. With their official backing and Team Semper Fi's participation, the Tri for Our Veterans race carries a tremendous amount of legitimacy. My hope is to work with our sponsors, The City of Sea Isle City and VFW Post 1963, to attract a lot of media attention to the event, which will fuel registration figures, increase revenue, and, ultimately, the contribution back to The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund. It is a nice circle of partnership-- they officially recognize the race, we donate monies to them, and our veterans benefit from increased services.

It appears as though The Marines Have Landed in Sea Isle City!

As an avid racer, I am just thrilled and excited to watch the Team Semper Fi athletes compete in the triathlon. The Team Semper Fi competitors have incurred a number of battlefield injuries; some members have been badly burned, others suffered gunshot wounds, and a few have lost limbs to IEDs and other devices of war. Besides the grueling physical therapy program, these soldiers have completed a number of difficult endurance races, including The Marine Corps Marathon, Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon, and The Nation's Triathlon. Their grit, determination, and sheer will to compete and win is admirable and I am excited to watch them in action as they storm the beaches and take the streets of Sea Isle during the triathlon!

Unfortunately, I will not be able to compete in my own race because of the numerous responsibilities as race director (this is my only regret about the race, for I have always wanted to compete in a Sea Isle tri, considering I have spent every summer of my life in this fantastic beach town). However, I will certainly remember the obstacles and challenges these fine Americans have faced and overcome during my long training runs...God knows, we can all use some inspiration at mile 20 of a marathon.

Registration and website will be up by December 20!

No comments: