Saturday, December 1, 2007

"So, why are you doing this..."

Last summer, I completed four triathlons, a marathon, and an Ironman 70.3 (Half Ironman). My MBA finished up in May and work was going very well. I spent a lot of time in Sea Isle and really enjoyed the long summer with my three daughters, my wife, and the rest of my family and friends.

Then, I read the article. I read the New York Times every day and this one was an Art & Entertainment piece, which I rarely read. It was a review of a photographer's work hosted by a NYC gallery. The article broke me. It made me feel so selfish, so guilty, so undeserving, so ashamed, so un-American because I did not serve my country like my father and grandfather. The article made me want to do something. The article and its pictures still haunt me. The article is still online and I go back to it now and again-- check it out when you can.

This idea, this race, this blog, and this post are all apolitical. I will not divulge my political party, my feelings for or against the war, nor the administration that launched it. I have only one goal: to give something back to the veterans who have fought in our previous battles and those who fight in today's wars. It is fairly simple, but, wow, is there a lot of work to do...

I came up with the idea to launch the "Tri for Our Veterans" triathlon race and host it in Sea Isle City, NJ, which is the beach town my family has visited for 40+ years. Triathlons are very fun-- you start off by swimming a certain distance, jump on a bike for a number of miles, then run as best as you can to the finish line. My race is going to be a "sprint" because of the short distances involved. Most folks think of the Ironman Series when it comes to triathlon races--- which is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 miles bike, and 26.2 (marathon) race. Sea Isle's Tri will be a wee bit different-- 1/4 mile swim, 12.3 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run on the beach's hard sand-- perfect for first timers, those looking for a beach workout after a long night at the Ocean Drive, or someone willing to help our veterans. For most people, they will complete the race in about 90 minutes or so.

Best of all-- the proceeds will go towards two fine organizations: The Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund & Sea Isle's VFW Post 1963, in their efforts to rebuild the town's Veterans' Memorial Fountain and Garden.

Which brings me to the title of this post-- I met with a professional timing company today, who will record and post all of the triathletes' times. They organize & host about 12 races a year as part of their business. When they asked about the purpose of the race, I let them know it was going to be a not-for-profit race...to which they responded...."So, why are you doing this..."

Read the article, check out the photographer's gallery http://www.jenbekman.com/artists/nina_berman/, and then you might get a sense of how bad these soldiers need our help and deserve our respect.

Wanna Race? Volunteer? More to come......

No comments: