Monday, April 28, 2008

Couldn't have done it without you....

I am putting the finishing touches on the Operations Manual, which details the various course maps, safety plans, and schedule of events. It is a lot of work, but it also made me appreciate all of the people who have been so kind to the triathlon. Here is just a few of the many who deserve credit:

Marge Quinlan-- my mother in law. She has been such a supporter since the beginning. A couple of her contributions-- recruited our very first registered participants, posted the race concept out to her email directory, visited over 70 businesses in Sea Isle (yes, SEVENTY) for sponsorships, and even signed up her own relay team! I often wonder if the little Marine Drill Instructor inside of her inspired her to be such a helping hand. THANKS MOM!

Mike Patton-- family friend and, according to my wife, my "BFF". Mike is a former Marine and in charge of our bike course safety. He has a great eye for details, which is welcomed.

Gerry Quinlan-- my father in law. I have mentioned his contributions in past blog posts, but he has been so instrumental and deserves another credit. Director of Volunteers, Chief Note Taker, and my "local" connection. He has saved me countless hours!

Bill Dalton-- President of Bridgepoint Insurance Group, our Founding Sponsor. When this event was little more than an idea, Bill was in our corner. Like me, he is not a veteran but deeply believes in citizens caring for our military veterans. Bridgepoint was our 1st sponsor before we even had a official sponsor package! Talk about trust. Thanks Trooper!

Sherree and Paul McCulley-- "Iron-Granny" and SGT Swartzkopf. My Mom and Dad. Mom was a huge source of encouragement and one of our registered athletes. Dad (and his father) are veterans and both inspired me to help our soldiers.

Fordham-- for teaching me two important concepts: "men for others" and "to whom much is given, much is expected".

And finally, Heather, Caroline, Emma, and Lila: Thanks for inspiring, listening, and coping with the hours of planning this event has taken. Girls, I am very proud of the fact that you have learned about the role of our brave men and women in uniform. Freedom isn't free; instead, it is paid for by our soldiers, 4,000+ who have recently died in Iraq. I now know you understand Memorial Day is more than the start of the summer.

See you in Sea Isle....just 26 days to go.....

No comments: