Sunday, May 18, 2008

EXHAUSTED...but good news

What a weekend. I do have a life, other than being the Race Director for Sea Isle's triathlon. On Saturday, my daughters had their end of the year lacrosse tournament. First game-- 8:30...arrive by 8am...45 minutes away. Yes, your math is correct, me and my ladies (3 under 9 and their Mom) were up at the crack of dawn and on the road by 7am.

5 games later, we exited...3 wins, 2 losses. My girls did so well-- they each netted 2 goals and Caroline played tremendous defense. Emma's allergies were gone and she lit up the field with her speed. I was very proud...

Then Lila and I headed right to the shore. Lots to do:

*Deliver 15 cases of water bottles, registration packets, and prize packs
*Ran 8 miles on the beach, swam for 10 minutes in the bay (with a wetsuit, it is not cold!)
*Checked on Iron Granny (my mom...it is her 1st tri) and she will be great next week

Then, the tough part.

A storm swept in last week and really beat up the beach. We lost a lot of sand, but the race will be fine due to the low tide. My Sunday was busy with the Sea Isle Beach Patrol-- great bunch of guys. We went through the swim course and everything was confirmed. Then the tough part-- I jumped on a Sea Doo with one of the Lieutenants to mark the swim course with my GPS and drop the bouys (anchors-- flags go in on Fri/Sat). A rain storm blew in just as we started. Bumpy, wet and cold...but we got the job done. I did manage to drop my GPS in the water, but leapt in and grabbed it (it was in a Ziplock bag). No harm, no foul.

Man, am I exhausted.

Team Daddy & Lila will head back down on Wednesday night. On Thursday, a bunch of friends will help build the racers' bags. I will also assist with building the racks and finalizing the transition area.

Almost home. Anytime I get tired nowadays, I simply think of the extended tours of duty our troops now endure in Iraq and Afghanistan--- then I feel fine. Afterall, I only have experienced one bad day in Sea Isle my entire life!

See you in Sea Isle City!
.
.

No comments: