Saturday, May 24, 2008

Finshed...12 hours later

Yes, most of the racers finished 12 hours ago, but I needed a break before tonight's posting. After lunch, a 2 hour nap, dinner, and Rita's, I am finally able to type.

First, awesome job, racers. Check out the results by clicking HERE. We had very few problems, limited-minor injuries. Sea Isle's Beach Patrol rescued a few racers-- one person remarked that he had never did an ocean swim and was intimidated. The ocean was chilly, but calm.

Second, we raised almost $30,000 for our veterans' causes. This is really a tremendous feat for a first year event. THANK YOU! Besides raising a boatload of money, we also paid for the best timing service available (Go Piranha Sports), assembled a great racer bag (Polar Bottles), and handed out some outstanding prizes (iPOD, Swiss Army Watches, Gift Certificates).

Thirdly, we really pulled together the community of Sea isle City. I was shocked to see more than 120 volunteers show up for the meeting on Friday night-- only half of which had signed up before the meeting-- the others heard about it through word of mouth. People simply wanted to help our veterans-- THANK YOU! The City of Sea Isle was so supportive-- we just could not have done it without their support.

Lastly, I am working on a collage of photos. I will work to post them soon and you are free to download them (yes, free pics!).

I am exhausted-- went to bed at 1030 last night and up at 330. Most of the night, I did not sleep and woke up thinking about the race (I honestly counted bike racks 6 times in my head). Though tired, this is one of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever been apart of (behind my family events-- witnessing the birth of my 3 children, getting married, etc.). Thank you all for the many compliments-- we all did something special today-- we recognized the role of our military and its veterans, something every American should do. I know during my next race, I will surely recall the image of Team Semper Fi members crossing the finish line with a smile on their face as inspiration. Man, the Marines in Sea Isle are athletes-- they kicked butt out there today. Despite some of their injuries, they out kicked a majority of the age-group participants!
(Dan Lasko, I will be emailing you for swim tips-- your time was amazing).

Thank you all for reading this blog over the past few months, for supporting this race, and for keeping the Memorial in Memorial Day. You helped your fellow Americans today-- those brave souls who put on a uniform to protect our many freedoms. Thank you!

See you in Sea isle City...2009!
.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For a first year event what an awesome race!!!! Way to go Matt, I really appreciate all your hard work and reading the blog all these months I witnessed your dedication. Sea Isle City's residents should be proud of what you accomplished.... without even racing!!!!!!!
I can't wait till next year!
Thanks again for putting on such a high end event.
Bill Topley Team Oogies
P.S. We own the relay, come and get us!!!!!!
P.S.S. Piranha Sports; another fine job!

doyoutri said...

This was a great race. Thank you for putting it together.

MJ said...

For my first tri, I couldn't have picked a better event than Tri For Our Veterans. Great job, Matt! See y'all next year!